Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Sad news

I just found out today that a dear friend of mine from college, Mark Benson, passed away form Leukemia last month. A blog of his final months is found at helpmarkfight.blogspot.com
I was in the middle of entertaining 30 teenagers for Joshua's 16th birthday party (will tell about that later) when I happened to see an email from Teresa telling me about it. (Please don't ask why I am glancing at email while entertaining 30 teenagers - long story - but it was a good reason - it really was - I promise...) I had to stop for a few minuters and try to digest the news and then shed some tears. I just loved Mark Benson. We all thought it was so cool that Pres. Benson (who became the prophet during that freshman year when we were at college together) was his great-uncle. Mark was so much fun to be around, and he had a depth of character that I admired. The double date when I went with Mark and Shauna went with Wes to the dance - SO MUCH FUN. Our trip to his farewell in Preston was also one of the truly fun memories I have of that year. I have a deep regret that we did not keep in touch and send Christmas cards like we promised to. I pray for his wife and three daughters. It's really, really hard to think about their lives right now. I pray that the Lord will bless them.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Lorena,
Glad you got the news about Mark. I didn't want to interrupt the teenage birthday party. I am dying to go on a backpacking trip with your family. It looks like so much fun. Tell Bruce I said hi.
Teresa

Shauna said...

Ok Lorena,
I am trying so hard to make this work. Maybe it is and I just don't know it.....:) Anyway here is my e-mail address. Let me know if this goes through. I would like to stay in touch. Mark's death has certainly made me not want to make the same mistake with "keeping in touch" again.

love,Shauna