Monday, April 29, 2013

Concerts, Graduations and Blessings!

Mary, Peter and Libby were in the Show Choir Conert last week.  This is a highlight of the year!
Mary did the following numbers with the Show Choir:
  • There's No Business Like Show Business
  • A Lot of Livin' To Do (from Bye-Bye Birdie)
  • Rock of Ages
  • Sit Down You're Rockin' the Boat
  • Under the Sea (from Little Mermaid)
  • Seize the Day (from Newsies)
 Here is a picture of Mary in Seize the Day.  This was one of my favorite numbers!  I took a video which I was hoping to upload, but the video quality was too poor, so it didn't work out.
Mary in Seize the Day
 And then Mary did a really fun side act with her friends Kalli, Jill, Jessie, Tori, Erica and Kylie to "I Won't Say I'm in Love" from Hercules.  She was a backup singer dressed as a Greek Goddess. 

Mary had so much fun in Show Choir this year.  She did a fantastic job, and looked SO GOOD up there dancing and singing.  She didn't look like a first-year member in the least.  Congratulations, Mary!!

Peter, Libby and Mary all got to do Hakuna Matata, from Lion King.  During one part of the song, Libby did a roundoff back handspring, and then immediately following, Peter did a layout backflip with a push-off from his friend Taylor.  It was awesome!
Libby is on the left side, upside down!
Peter


Later in the week, I got to travel down to Utah this week with my Mom and Dad.  My niece Whitney graduated from Utah Valley University and they also blessed their new little baby, Penny.  I got to hold her for an hour or more while she slept.  It's great to be a great-aunt!

One of the most fun things about Penny's blessing is that Sean, Stetson's old missionary companion, and his wife Heidi were there with their little girl Evette.  They live in Texas, but they were up in Provo for a graduation, so they were able to come to the blessing!  So fun to see them!
Mis Elderes favoritos
And my other niece Lindsey, Whitney's sister, graduated from UVU also!  I'm so proud of them!  They both graduated Cum Laude.  It was great to be with my sister Julie (Whitney and Lindsey are her daughters) and her husband Bruce.  I haven't seen Bruce in a long time, so it was good to be with him.  I also got to see my cousins Annette (who graciously allowed us to stay at her house), Renea, Elaine and Sylvia.  I just LOVE these cousins.  I laugh and laugh whenever I see them.  I told Julie that we need to have an overnight reunion with them.  (A whole weekend would be asking too much!)

In the meantime, Bruce was supposed to be taking the girls on an overnight daddy-daughter campout, but Jesse and Mary had a dress rehearsal for their choir concert, so Bruce postponed it until this weekend.

Bruce was also gone to St Louis this week on business.  He got to go on a tour of the Gateway Arch.

So the kids had a day at home with neither of us there.  They did a great job of being self-sufficient!  Libby even got herself up and off to school one morning by herself because Jesse, Mary and Peter had gone to the Temple!  She is eleven, after all, so she is OK to do something like that once in awhile!  Before long, she'll be able to go to the Temple with them.

Jesse and Tyler doubled with Caleb and Macey, and they went horseback riding.  Jesse rode Strawberry, and Bruce told her that Joseph would be really proud of her!

Last night was the Young Women's Recognition Night.  Jesse conducted, and did a great job, and bearing a beautiful testimony about personal progress.  Several people commented on how poised she was.  Mary sang a musical number with two other girls, while I accompanied the song.  Mary sang beautifully!  The fact that I played this song decently was a miracle. I was handed the music 90 minutes earlier, and had never played it before.  It really was a miracle.

On the way home driving from Utah, I listened to several chapters of Our Heritage, A Brief History of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.  I listened to the chapters from about 1833-1847.  Wow - it is so humbling to listen to what the Saints went through in those years.  I came away with a renewed understanding that sometimes in mortality, we have a boatload of problems with very few answers.  In 1838, when the Saints were driven out of Clay County, and Joseph Smith was sent to Liberty Jail, that's the situation they were in.

Do you feel like you have a lot of problems and very few answers?  Well, join the crowd.  Join the crowd that included some of the best people that ever lived on the planet.  But they persevered, and much good came from their perseverance.  Perseverance to me means that faced with daily choices to turn to the light or to turn away from it, we consistently choose light.  And if we make a mistake and choose darkness, we repent and choose light again.  We make clear and consistent course corrections to aim for the light.  Ultimately, our life and destiny will reflect those very tiny course corrections made on a moment to moment basis.  Light or darkness?  I choose light!




No comments: