Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Worshiping through Music

On Monday night, we were having Family Home Evening, and Libby was giving the lesson, which was on appreciating music. One of the scriptures we read was Doctrine & Covenants 25:12, which says, "For my soul delighteth in the song of the heart, yea the song of the righteous is a prayer unto me, and it shall be answered with a blessing upon their heads." With that scripture in mind, I asked the family, "Has there been a time when you felt like you were worshiping through music?" Libby immediately answered, "Yes." Surprised, and curious as to when that could have been for a six year old, I asked her, and she said, "When I was singing Silent Night." I knew just what she was talking about, because she videotaped herself doing it, and I saved it! So here is Libby singing Silent Night and by her own admission, worshiping!

You can see a couple of times she puts different pieces of the Nativity Scene in place while she's singing. I couldn't post it, because it was too long, but she goes on to sing the next two verses and puts the shepherd and other figures in place.

This touched me deeply. I'm so thankful that my daughter has the spiritual sensitivity to want to "worship" and that she knows how to do that, on her own, unstructured and unbidden, at such a young age. I am very grateful for that because I know it will bring her much joy throughout her life.

I'm only sorry she didn't get a picture of her face while she was videotaping! So here's a picture of her singing at the Ward Christmas Party just a few days earlier.

6 comments:

annette said...

That picture of libby could be a picture of you at that age. She looks as cute and sweet as you were.

Lorena Holmstead, CHBP, CRTS, LSH said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lorena Holmstead, CHBP, CRTS, LSH said...

It is so fun to hear that from one who knew me as a child! You are so great to always comment on my blog. I do see a lot of me in Libby (the good and the bad - ha ha).

wenderful said...

How cute is that!?! She is darling. Loved it!

The Draper Fam said...

Hey, there are three boys that look at really familiar to me in the picture! Libby is surrounded by Drapers, uh oh--
What a special little girl to have video taped and prepared such a great lesson...

Curtis said...

From Suwanee, Georgia: Libby has a beautiful voice!