Monday, December 21, 2015

Merry Christmas to All!

Peter's Choir Concert was this week.  We were slacker parents, though, and didn't get any pictures.  :(  Sad!  He was standing front and center and more than one person commented on how fun he was to watch.  It was a great concert! As always, at the December Christmas Concert, we got to go up and sing the Hallellujah! Chorus.  Peter was laughing at Bruce, saying he looked like a lumberjack up there singing in his red plaid flannel shirt.  He said he thought it was festive!  :)   Oh - we did get one picture.  Mary made us recreate the moment when she first met Chet outside the restrooms at the high school.  Good memories!


Our Ward Christmas Party was on Wednesday.
We got to go in our Pajamas, and we sat on the floor on a blanket.  And then we went around to different rooms in the Church and did different activities.  It was fun!

On Thursday Bruce, Peter, Libby and I went to see Star Wars: The Force Awakens!  I thoroughly enjoyed it.  They brought so many motifs forward from the first movie.  I went and saw that 38 years ago!  Hard to believe it's been that long.

On Friday and Saturday I went to the viewing and funeral one of the brothers in our ward - Norm - who has had pancreatic cancer for the last year.  His wife Dania is one of my dear friends, and I have been working with her for awhile now to work through the hard times.  She got up and spoke at Norm's funeral, and as she spoke so beautifully, so peacefully, I thought, "These are the fruits of the gospel. This is true discipleship!"  On one appointment that we had together, we mapped out the Lord's pattern of grieving and Satan's pattern.  She took the Lord's pattern to heart, and lived it!  I love her so much, and am so grateful for her example of truly taking the gospel to heart and living it.

This is what we mapped out:
Here's a great picture of Bruce before church yesterday.  Handsome man!!

Last night, it was past 10 pm, and Bruce said prayers with us, and then when we were trying to get him to sing "Sure love ya" with us (this is our newest thing), he said "It's too late for fun."  Oh, man, we laughed and laughed over that.  CLASSIC Bruce line.  He then settled in to this very familiar evening pose.
I made the kids help me to drag him out of that chair and into the bedroom.  They couldn't resist and did a dogpile on him.  He returned the favor this morning at 5:30 am!  Ha ha ha!  Oh, the adventures at this home!

Yesterday the Book of Mormon Challenge began!  We are reading the whole book in the 2 weeks over Christmas break.  I love it!

Joseph got to got skiing at Snowbird on Thursday!
 Joseph's in the brown jacket.

Josh pulled off straight A's at BYU-Idaho this semester - AGAIN!  He works so hard to do this - I'm so happy for him! Here are some great shots of him with Apollo:





Jesse got to go to the Temple this week in Los Angeles.  She took these pictures at the Visitors Center there.  I love them!


In her last letter she wrote,
"Today as we were driving to go email, the Mormon Tabernacle Choir was singing The First Noel and the sun was shining and I just let myself enjoy the wonderful moment and be grateful for the incredible blessings in my life. I imagine that's what the Celestial Kingdom will feel like. "
Isn't that beautiful!  This is my hope during this Christmas season, that we will take some quiet moments and reflect upon the Savior and His life.  Desmond Tutu was asked, "Have you found your relationship to God has changed as you've grown older?"  Bishop Tutu paused and then said, "Yes. I am learning to shut up more in the presence of God."  And then he said that instead of a "kind of shopping list, I am trying to grow in just being there.  Like when you sit in front of a fire in winter, you are just there in front of the fire, and you don't have to be smart or anything.  The fire warms you."  (quoted in the Ensign Magazine article entitled Be at Peace, by Elder D. Todd Christofferson, Dec 2015).  Yes - I have found the same to be true!  Especially in the Celestial Room in the Temple, this is where I feel that peace and feel "warmed by the fire".

Merry Christmas to all of you!

No comments: