Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Blender Wheat Pancakes

I found a good recipe that I want to share. Bruce doesn't usually like pancakes, and he approved of these.

Blend on high, 4 or 5 minutes:

1 cup milk
1 cup uncooked whole wheat (not whole wheat flour - it's the actual kernels)

(Hint: I blended it for 3 minutes on high with my VitaMix and that was enough.)

Add and blend on low:

2 eggs
2 T honey
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 cup sour cream
1/4 cup oil

Pour 1/4 cup at a time on griddle set at 325 degrees.

Yield: About 15 pancakes

These are so light and delicious. You may find small sizes are easier to turn. I don't recommend doubling the recipe, as it's too hard on the blender.

Serve with homemade Maple Syrup:

2 cups sugar
1 cup water
1/2 teaspoon maple flavoring
1/2 teaspoon Schill vainilla de Mexico (or other brand of vanilla extract)
1 Tablespoon light corn syrup (optional)

Bring the water and sugar to a boil and let it boil for 2 minutes. Take off the burner and add the maple flavoring, vanilla and corn syrup. The corn syrup helps keep it from crystallizing. Store in an airtight container. I store it in a glass quart jar with a lid on it.

I don't use this myself, because I've made a pact with myself to stay off white sugar, but I make it for the kids. I use pure maple syrup myself. I'd give that to the children also, but it's very expensive, so that's prohibitive.

4 comments:

annette said...

Do you mean whole wheat flour, or just plain wheat? These sound really good.

Tami said...

I can't believe I know someone else who prefers this syrup recipe, My siblings and I grew up on it and thank goodness Gary has grown to love it as well. Thanks for the pancake recipe will have to have it on the campout.

wenderful said...

Yum! I'll have to try this one. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

GO check out my sister's blog. She has a picture of her husband sitting with Pioneer Woman at the Bloggie Awards. He was accepting the award for his friend Fatcyclist.

www.tatertotsandjello.blogspot.com

Lorena Holmstead, CHBP, CRTS, LSH said...

Annette - it's not WW flour, it's the actual kernels of whole wheat. It's nice not to have to grind it first.