Sunday, November 23, 2014

Rescued


It was crazy driving this week.  The roads were so cold that there were mounds in the road of ice and snow where it hadn't quite melted.  I was really glad to be driving in the truck with 4-wheel drive.

But on Friday, I got a little cocky.  It got up into the 40's, so the ice/snow on the roads had turned into slush.  I was going down a road at 50 mph, and turned to the side to get the middle seat down to rest my elbow on it.  When I look back up, the truck had gone into the slush and I was sliding with the back end to the right.  I let off the gas, didn't put on the brake, but tried to correct.  Soon I found myself headed across the other lane and off the road, right in between an electrical box and a telephone pole.  The back of the truck slid out to the right behind me and turned the truck.  This was a good thing, because if not, I would have landed head first into this embankment.  Instead, the back of the truck slid into to it, specifically the right rear wheel, and the truck went over on two wheels and teetered there for a moment, before landing back down on all four, albeit at weird angle.  The two big dirt spots here were where the rear wheels ended up.

About 5-6 people stopped to see if I was all right.  Thankfully, I was.  I called the roadside assistance that we have, but they ended up telling me that towing was not covered for the size of vehicle we have.  But at the same moment they were telling me this (yes - the same moment), a guy who I later found out was named Vern, was at my window telling me that he was going to put a cable on the front of the truck and pull me out with his winch.
Dave, the man pictured here, also stopped to help.  He coached me on how to turn the wheels and when to press on the gas while I was being pulled out.  He didn't know Vern or me from Adam, but they were both there helping me out.  Vern's truck winch pulled me out easy as can be.  It was amazing!  When I asked Vern for a business card, or what I could do for him, he said, "Nope, nope."  I said, "Well, I can pray for you."  And he ducked his head and said, "Let me tell you that the truck was a gift to me.  It was worth $8000 and I payed $1000 for it, and it only took $400 to get it running.  You are the 40... no 42nd person I have pulled out from a ditch this week."  This week!  The truck was undamaged, I was completely unhurt, and the tow cost us nothing.

I was rescued as clearly and simply as can be imagined.  And I didn't deserve it, but I was blessed with it, which reminded me once again, as I am often reminded, of the Savior's infinite and loving mercy to me.

And thanks to that tender mercy, I was able to attend the concert that night of the fine gentlemen in these pictures from the Nashville Tribute Band!

Oh my word, these guys were awesome!
The lead singer and songwriter, Jason Deere, pictured below, reminded me so much of my brother Cedric.  :)  He bore powerful witness of the Savior, through word and song.
The whole concert was entitled "Redeemer" and it was all about our Savior, Jesus Christ, and the way people saw Him who knew Him
They published a CD in 2005 called "Joseph" that we obtained somehow (I don't remember buying it), and our kids loved it!  Mary said fell asleep every night for a time period in her life, listening to that CD.  It had songs about Porter Rockwell, Emma, and others.

This concert was wonderful!  We got to sit on the front row with our friends Jonathan and Mirlandra, so it was up close and personal!  You can see that by the pictures!  

Mary got to bring her friend Becca, too, and of course Nic was up on the top working with the lights.  An accidental "major dim" of the whole auditorium may or may not have been caused by him.  Haha!  Thank you to our Stake of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints for sponsoring the concert!

I got a Raindrop this week from my friend Michelle.  She only joined Young Living in the summer, and has already been to the C.A.R.E. Training and is currently taking my Foot Zone class.  It was a wonderful treatment.  I came away from it feeling grounded, and back to myself, after feeling "off kilter" for a few days before that.  Thank you, Michelle!

Peter started indoor soccer this week!  He is playing with kids that are a year older than him in school, so the high school JV team, basically.  They lost their first game, but hopefully it will get better from there.

Peter, Libby and Mary are loving their ballroom dance team.  Chantal, their co-director told me last week that if it wasn't for those three, coming in a year ago with their talent and good attitudes, that they might have folded as a club, but that these three gave them the impetus they needed to keep going, and now this is the best year they have had so far.  What a compliment!

Saturday we helped our friends Jay and Leah move in to their temporary rental until their house can be built.  It was great to be of service, although they had so much help that I don't know how much  we did besides throw a ton of snowballs (the snow was perfect for it that day).  But Libby and I did get the kitchen boxes mostly unpacked, so that was fun!

Have I mentioned on this blog that I have become a Norwex consultant?  I love the products - they are designed for chemical-free and effective cleaning - and it is providing a source of income for Mary and Libby, whom I have hired as assistants.  Make no mistake, my Young Living business is my top priority, but this is a fun side business that is doing well!  We have had two parties in the last two weeks, and have a third one planned soon.

Mary's Honor Choir concert was this week!
They sang The Last Words of King David, by Thompson, which I love.  And then a new song which I thought was gorgeous, called Autumn.  And then they sang two more that I am familiar with - Troubles of the World (I don't know if that's the title) and Cindy! arranged by Mack Wilberg.  It was an awesome concert!

Follow up from last week!  Libby's teeth are fixed!  Thank you to our local dentist and friend who did a great job taking care of Libby!

While Mary was at Honor Choir two days this week, I was a substitute at the high school for the choir teacher.  While I was sitting in his office, a took pictures of the pictures that he has on the wall of Josh, Joseph and Jesse.  Throw back!
The MAD Boys in one of their first performances.
Josh on tour.
Josh in Madrigals
This picture of the MAD Boys was from their photo shoot for the cover of their album.

Madrigals - with Jesse and Joseph (bleached blond hair in the middle!)
Jesse - one of her senior pictures.  (One of my favorite ones, too!)

My children's favorite memories from High School are all with Madrigals.  Josh, Joseph, Jesse and now Mary all say the same thing.  What a blessing to have that experience!

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

No comments: